This test is for freshmen with polytechnic diploma.
Students who pass this test would be considered to have A-level equivalent mathematics and hence be allowed to read modules carrying A-level mathematics as prerequisite (upon admission/matriculation). However, they will not be given any grades or credit for MA1301 as this is a proficiency test and NOT an Advanced Placement Test (APC).
Students who possess a polytechnic diploma and who have also obtained one of the following certifications are considered to have passed the MA1301 proficiency test and may therefore proceed to read modules carrying A-level mathematics as prerequisite, without sitting for the test. However, they may still read MA1301 if they choose to do so.
(1) Graduate DPP Transcript comprising the three Diploma Plus modules: Analytical Geometry, Applied Calculus and Advanced Calculus.
Ngee Ann Polytechnic
(1) Diploma Plus Programme (Certificate in Advanced Computing Mathematics); or
(2) Diploma Plus Programme in Advanced Engineering Mathematics.
(1) Certificate in Engineering Mathematics (CEM); or
(2) Certificate in Mathematics for Engineering (CME); or
(3) Certificate in Engineering Mathematics & Science (CEMS); or
(4) Diploma-plus Certificate in Mathematics for School of Digital Media and Infocomm Technology (PCM); or
(5) Certificate of Completion of the Advanced Mathematics Programme (AMM); or
(6) Certificate of Completion of the Higher Mathematics Programme (HMM).
(1) Certificate in University Preparatory Mathematics or Certificate in University Preparatory Programme Mathematics
Students who do not pass this test will have to read and pass MA1301 as one of their regular modules (upon admission/matriculation), before they are allowed to read other modules carrying A-level mathematics as prerequisite.
Students reading or who have read MA1301FC are not allowed to sit for the proficiency test.
(updated Feb 2015)
Test schedule for AY2017/18 cohort:
Application will close after 30 June 2017.
- For students admitted to Schools of Computing
- For students admitted to Faculty of Engineering
and other non-computing faculties
There is no shortlisting exercise for this test - applicants should turn up for the test as scheduled. There will also not be any separate acknowledgement of application, or notification or reminder about the test.
Listed below are papers from past years for reference. No answers will be provided.
For those who are keen, try these practise problems (answers and hints provided in the document).
These are two standard A-Level mathematics textbooks: